Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Crazier Side of Normal

As this is my first post I feel I should explain the title as it could be taken the wrong way or no way at all. I have always struggled with the term 'normal'. Not in the dictionary sense, but in the vernacular. How often do we hear the phrase ‘That’s not normal?’ Quite a bit I’d imagine. As a woman who has undergone the sometimes painful, often difficult process of IVF I often find it hard when people talk about ‘a normal pregnancy’. They don’t mean to offend me. It’s just an expression and one that gets bandied about quite a bit. Most days it doesn’t offend me at all, it depends on how much hormone I’ve had to inject!  Aside from the whole IVF journey I’ve been through to have my son Harrison and the one I’m going through now to have my number two I’ve always found the idea of normal as a tenuous one. I don’t think I’ve ever really been normal and I often ponder how much energy is used up by many of us in the pursuit of normality! My life has been anything but normal and so have the lives of the people around me. So this blog is a celebration of all things un-normal. Not just about IVF but about everyday bits and bobs that tickle my fancy and give me a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment